Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
hpbburd95
Style_council
hpbburd95

I am not a photographer, but I would really like to make my pictures look better. I use a pretty basic camera.It’s an GE A1050, so yeah, pretty simple. I used to have two Olympus cameras, but they do not work anymore. But if anyone has any tips, I would really appreciate it!

posted about 8 years ago
Totallyoutcasted
Style_council
Totallyoutca...

Well, here’s my advice based on seeing the pictures on your page:

1. You want to think about the angle and positioning of your camera. If you’re taking your own pictures, look through the lens when you set the camera up to make sure you’re getting EVERYTHING in the pictures. Some of your pictures have your feet cut out.

2. Think about the lighting which is really important in photography. Go on youtube and look at videos about the effect that lighting has on photos.

3. Photoshop is your BEST friend. Take a photoshop class and learn how to really use it to bring your photo out.

I also want to add that different fabrics photograph differently. So you want to take pictures of multiple fabrics and see how they turn out so you can get a gist of what fabrics to use to get the image you want.

posted about 8 years ago

hpbburd95
Style_council
hpbburd95

Thank you! This helped a lot. For the Photoshop classes, I always presumed they cost money. Is that true or not true? If they do, is there a reasonable and reliable one that you would recommend?

posted about 8 years ago

Totallyoutcasted
Style_council
Totallyoutca...

Well, when I first started photoshopping, I learned through watching youtube videos and research. It took a while for me learn the difference between something that is badly photoshopped and what’s really good photoshopping. As with anything, skill comes with lots of practice and time. I would take bad photos that I found on the internet and then photoshop them, and that was my practice.

Classes typically cost money, but you might can find a cheap photoshop class at your local community college :)

posted about 8 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

Between Photoshop and Lightroom, I would recommend Lightroom, since it’s dedicated to photo-editing and has a more user-friendly interface. You can find a toonn of great tutorials for both though :) the photo editing tools are pretty basic so it doesn’t take long to figure them out—you just have to play around and see what suits you.
What takes time to develop is a sense of taste—that is, to resist the urge to overexpose, dramatically increase contrast, distort the colors like you’re using hipstamatic, etc.
There are some basic tutorials like this, and you can download actions like this.
Like totallyoutcasted mentioned, proper lighting can dramatically improve a photo—luckily, that’s something you can control to some extent in post-processing. Another thing that can help is to get a good crop—that is, remove what’s unnecessary and maybe get a more interesting angle. Following the rule of thirds helps :)

posted about 8 years ago

edimarie
New_user edimarie is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When edimarie reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
edimarie

gimp is a free program that you can download that is very similar to photoshop but without the price tag, there’s lots of tutorials out there for it so that way you wouldn’t need to pay to take a class or anything! if you have any questions i wouldn’t mind lending a hand either!

posted about 8 years ago

Julie_Ann_Lozada
New_user Julie_Ann_Lozada is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When Julie_Ann_Lozada reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Julie_Ann_Lo...

the best and simplest and cheapest way is… log on to picnik.com
you can brighten your photos there…

posted about 8 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

kind of random, but you said you had olympus cameras.. did you know they’re going through a huge scandal because they’re involved with the japanese mafia? you’d never think such a name-brand company would.

also, there’s an online image editing program called phoenix, you don’t have to download anything to use it :)

posted about 8 years ago

beneaththeglass
Style_council
beneaththeglass

hey! i get these questions all the time, so i’ve actually included tutorials on my blog that goes into great detail about camera settings, and how to take better photos. i will be adding more soon, including how to edit them as well. you can check them out at my blog and if you have any question you can contact me, always happy to help! :)

posted about 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password